Sunday, September 14, 2008

He-Man, Live-Action Film, 300-Style

First Transformers. Then G.I. Joe. Now He-Man. Variety is reporting that "He-Man," another beloved '80s cartoon based on a toy line, will be turned into a live-action film, employing visual effects similar to those in 300. Here's more:

The franchise has been reimagined by the producer and the writers and pitched to Mattel as a classic good vs. evil battle, using the kind of visual effects strategy employed in "300." A warrior is touted as the last hope of a magical land called Eternia, which is being ravaged by technology and the evil Skeletor.

Many of the characters in the Middle Earth-like universe will be informed by the mythology created in the four different cartoon series done since the 1980s.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think this news is awesome. I loved these TV shows as an '80s kid and it's an interesting choice to go live-action in the vein of 300. However, Transformers, G.I. Joe and He-Man... but no "She-Ra" (on her own, outside of the He-Man movie)? No "Jem and the Holograms"?! Where are my '80s ladies? It's obnoxious that there's a Bratz movie but no movie based on "Jem and the Holograms." Any of you Buzz readers into screenwriting? It's time for a girls' '80s cartoon uprising! Who's with me?

No comments: